Position: Research Associate
Dr. Lloyd has been involved for over 30 years in various elements of fuel cell and hydrogen research and application. Most recently he has focused his research on the role of hydrogen in a sustainable society, fuel cells, electric drive vehicles, renewable energy and policies to promote zero emission vehicles. In prior government service he has promoted policies for hydrogen and fuel cells in cars, buses and trucks, as well as supporting agency funding for the first PEM bus and for the early DOE/DOT fuel cell bus program.
He was a member of the DOE HTAP and the first chair of the DOE HTAC, during which time he saw the substantial progress in fuel cells, much of which was sponsored by the DOE.
- PhD, Gas Kinetics, University College of Wales, Aberystwyth, UK, 1967
- BsC, Chemistry (Hons), University College of Wales, Aberystwyth, UK, 1964
- 2017 –present; Senior Research Fellow, Energy Institute/CEM, University of Texas at Austin.
- 2006-2014; President, International Council for Clean Transportation (ICCT)
- 2004-2006; Secretary, California Environmental Protection Agency
- 1999-2004; Chairman, California Air Resources Board
- 2005 Sir William Grove Medal (London)-For advances in Fuel Cell Technology.
- 2005 The Fuel Cell Seminar Award.
- Interested in Golf, gardening, hiking, cricket and rugby.
- Andrew Chapman, Kenshi Itaoka, Katsuhiko Hirose, F Todd Davidson, Kazunori Nagasawa, Alan C Lloyd, Michael E Webber, Zeynep Kurban, Shunsuke Managi, Tetsuya Tamaki, Michael C Lewis, Robert E Hebner, Yasumasa Fujii.A Review of Four Case Studies Assessing the Potential for Hydrogen Penetration of the Future Energy System. International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 2019.01.168.
- Kazunori Nagasawa, F Todd Davidson, Alan C Lloyd, Michael E Webber. Impacts of Renewable Hydrogen Production from Wind Energy in Electricity Markets on Potential Hydrogen Demand for Light-Duty Vehicles. Applied Energy 2018.10.067.
- Alan C Lloyd, Ed Pike and Anil Baral. Renewable Hydrogen Production” Hydrogen and Fuel Cells, Ed. D Stolten. Wiley 2010, pp 465-88.
- Lloyd AC The power plant in Your Basement, Scientific American, Vol.281, 1 July 1999.
- Lloyd AC Fuel Cells and Air Quality: A California Perspective. J Power Sources, Vol 39, 1994.